Sometimes, a stroke cannot be avoided. However, there are risk factors involved and since stroke is one of the leading causes of death in the United States (130,000 people in the U.S. die from one every year), it’s best to be aware of the risk factors. In general, maintaining a healthy lifestyle will help prevent stroke. Avoid the following risk factors:
- Diabetes. Specifically, having diabetes mellitus increases your stroke risk. It causes a buildup of sugar in the blood which makes it difficult for the body to produce insulin. People who have diabetes mellitus are more likely to be overweight, have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which are also leading causes for having a stroke.
- An unhealthy lifestyle. Little physical exercise and an unhealthy diet are huge risk factors for having a stroke. Try getting in at least 2.5 hours of exercise every week. This could be walking, hiking, water aerobics, Yoga, etc. Choose healthier foods instead of junk.
- Smoking. If you smoke, you are doubling your chances of having a stroke. Cigarette smoking causes the blood to thicken, which can lead to clots and increase plaque buildup. Do your best to quit and if you can’t, see your doctor who can give sound advice.
- High cholesterol. Strokes happen when arteries are blocked, and bad cholesterol is just that – it is plaque buildup that blocks arteries. Eat healthy foods and exercise to maintain a good HDL cholesterol level.
- High blood pressure. The unfortunate aspect to high blood pressure is that most people who have it, don’t even know they have it. It is often time asymptomatic and can lead to having a stroke. Regular checkups will detect high blood pressure, and if necessary, your doctor can put you on medicine to keep it at a reasonable level.
Always Best Care is a provider of compassionate in-home senior care in the United States and Canada. For the past 20 years, they have built a solid, well-respected reputation in the senior care giving industry. Seniors living in the Greater Cleveland area, who are curious about senior care services in Lorain, or about how to obtain free referrals for assisted living facilities in Grafton, can call the Always Best Care Grafton location at 440-791-7177 to set up a free care consultation.